As permanent residents, you and your family members will have the right to:
- live, study and work in Canada for as long as you remain permanent residents
- access most social benefits accorded to Canadian citizens (see Limitations).
- apply for Canadian citizenship, and once granted, apply for a Canadian passport (once you have been a legal permanent resident for three of the four previous years)
There are a few limitations on permanent residents:
- You cannot vote in certain elections.
- You may be ineligible for certain jobs requiring high-level security clearances.
- If you or any of your family members commit a serious crime, you or your family members risk being deported from Canada.