Life without "Smile"

Life without Smile

Dedicated to my father Muhammad Ismail.

"You do not have to remember my name. Just "smile" and there you go". This is what he used to say when people found it difficult to pronounce or remember his name "Ismail". It is prounced exactly as "Smile". Indeed, he was a source of smile for many.

But on 10th January 2012, he took away the smile from my face when he suddenly passed away in Karachi. I was in Toronto at that time when the news reached me and, needless to say, I was shattered and devastated. My mentor, the wise man, as I used to call him, was no more. A part of me was no more. I got introdcued to the pain of loosing the father and it was enormous.

I am glad I was able to share some great time with him, even when I moved to Canada, thanks to the nature of my work, being an immigration consultant, whereby I travel to Pakistan frequently, at least 4 times a year. During my trips, I stayed at his home often and more consistently during the last two years of his life. He was tough and I had never thought that he can leave us like this and that soon.

My father got married at the age of 21. His first child, thats me, was born 2 years after his marriage. The age difference between me and him was only 23 years. So when I got married at the age of 20 and had my first child when I was 21, he was only 44 to become a grandfather. I am happy that he enjoyed his life to the fullest, saw me establish myself and played with my kids. He had plans to come to Canada in April to see my new born son Ahad Amir but unfortunately this did not happen due to will of Almighty.

Well travelled, well respected and an





intelligent person, he was the pillar of our family and the guiding star for us all. He will be dearly missed and I am sure I will never be the same, confident son proud of having the support of the strongest person in my life. Yet, I am sure, somewhere in this universe, he will look upon me, wait for me and hug me when I am finally with him. Ameen.

Life without "Smile" is going to be tough. Dad, I love you and I know you loved me most.

Amir Ismail

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Information Sessions

Post Graduate Work Permit is #1 Work Permit in Canada

Saskatchewan Immigration Update